Home Forums Meet information and reports Yew Crags/Buckstone How, Honister Tuesday 1 Aug 2023

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Brockbank
    Participant

The forecasts give a wet morning and early afternoon, clearing up as the day goes on, for a dry evening. As there are two separate crags here, if you plan to go, please say which crag you prefer to go to. I plan to be at Honister at 3:30 and would welcome a lift down to Yew Crag Buttress parking.

Buckstone Howe: Buckstone Howe has good midgrade (VS-HVS) selection. Slate-like rock which dries quickly. 50-80m high. Sinister Grooves(VS), Alexas(HVS), Cleopatra(HVS), Groove 2(HVS), Honister Wall (HS).HOWEVER BEWARE loose rock on Honister Wall – rockfall of large (person sized) blocks and flakes from the overhang on pitch 2 on 10/07/2020. Park and approach from Honister Pass

Yew Crag Buttress: Lower Buttress; Yew Crag Knotts; Zorro Buttress and Maidenstone Buttress. The climbs stretch from a wandering 150m to 15m high. Recommended E graders: Vulture(E3), Substitute(E1)and Hearth Direct(E1), but Holly Tree Grooves and Flake and Crack are HS* and the Chimney (VD) is short but amusing. Park on the Honister Pass road below the crags near What3words classed.hindered.stray.
    I’ll take advice on which pub to meet in afterwards.

Note that the OS map is wrong in labelling Buckstone How to the NW of Yew Crags.
    I can be contacted on 07555 804 995 or andyb0248@hotmail.com

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.