Home Forums News Skye Meet – May 2023

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Brockbank
    Participant

The gabbro peaks of the Black Cuillin on Scotland’s Isle of Skye are unlike any other mountain range in the UK or Ireland, and the main ridge traverse provides arguably the best mountaineering route in the British Isles. The 12 Munros on Skye (11 on the ridge, and one outlier) all give great objectives on their own, and many can be linked together for a longer day out. Most require some form of scrambling to get to the summit, with the Inaccessible Pinnacle (Sgurr Dearg) requiring a graded rock climb to reach the top and an abseil to get back down. if you would like further inspiration, this is a good page to start on: https://www.stevenfallon.co.uk/cuillinsouth.html#

I thought I should lay out my thoughts for the trip to Skye. I plan to be there for the full week, others may choose to come up for part of the week.

Timing: I intend drive up on Friday 5th May, to be there from 6th to the following weekend. Google maps gives 8hrs driving to get there.

Travel: Self drive / vehicle sharing. I’m happy to coordinate this.

Accommodation: Glenbrittle campsite (camping / campervans / motorhomes) – https://www.dunvegancastle.com/glenbrittle/campsite/ – There is no advance booking. I chose this as it’s in a great location and it provides for greater flexibility.

Food: Bring food or buy on the way. There is a cafe on site, but the nearest food shop is some way away.

What to do: Where to start? There is the main ridge, classic scrambles such as Pinnacle Ridge and the Dubh Ridge, and hundreds of classics Climbs such as Cioch Direct (S). There is walking to some Munro’s on the ridge, and Blaven, with lower walks in the Red Cuillin and the Quiraing.

What next: Contact by email: andyb0248@hotmail.com or whatsapp: 07555 804 995 if you are interested or have questions or thoughts, and we’ll take it from there.

Cheers

Andy Brockbank

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.