Home Forums Meet information and reports Scramble – Raven Crag, Yewdale, Coniston Saturday 25 Nov 2023

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Judith Brown

The weather gods decided to play nicely for a change and we had a day of glorious sunshine and fine views – it was even warm in the sun!

The first scramble was seen off in good order. The rock was a bit damp in places, but nothing that couldn’t be overcome with a reassuring rope from Brendan for a couple of steps. We walked to a nice viewpoint for an early lunch and some sunbathing before the meet leader set off rather over-confidently to find the next scramble, the oddly named ‘Pussie’s Paradise’. On the basis that I have done the route several times, including quite recently, I failed to consult the guidebook. As we were faced with an impressive sweep of overhanging rock, I finally twigged I led us all astray. So we retraced our steps to the summit of Holme Crag. At this point finding the correct approach became a team effort involving GPS and good old fashioned map and compass, neither of which provided an exact match with the directions and grid reference in the guidebook. However, we agreed on a general direction and set off again until I recognised where we should have been (which wasn’t exactly where we were heading, but close enough!)

Anyway, it was another enjoyable scramble. Then it was back over the summit again before descending via the small reservoirs and back along the Hodge Close road.

The team was Brendan, Mark H, Jamie, Steve P, Craig, Geraint, Mike K, Judith, guest Amy (Brendan’s daughter), and prospective member Nick.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.