Home Forums Meet information and reports Scramble – Grasmere to Stonethwaite via Jack’s Rake

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Coles
    Participant

Grasmere to Stonethwaite via Jack’s Rake. 16 March 2024. Report.
    Amazingly, the weather on Saturday was the least bad for many days. The sun was shining on Keswick bus station when thirteen of us took the glossy new bus from Keswick to Grasmere. The sun soon disappeared and we were in cloud from Little Castle How to Blea Rigg but from then on we had views to the horizon. We traversed over to the foot of Jack’s Rake, arriving just after a party of twelve Newcastle University students and a father with children aged five and seven wearing wellingtons. Although the KMC could not go as fast as usual, there was a view to admire, everybody was friendly and the five-year old proudly greeted us from the summit. The higher Western fells were all visible from the boggy path to High Raise. We then descended to above Sergeant Crag, on to Heron Crag, and down the steep hillside by a zigzag path. At the Langstrath Arms, four of the party needed to hurry home so went on to catch the 16.22 bus. The others had a drink near the log fire by the bar, then walked down to catch the 17.22. Thanks to Judith B., Anne B., Geraint, Ros, Jamie, Steve and Kath P. , Mick and guest Chris, Celia, David and Lorraine, for making a friendly party. Jonathan C.
    P.S. Apart from not clogging up the valleys with motor cars, travelling by bus allows me to look my grandchildren in the eye when they show me graphs like this one: https://www.statista.com/statistics/276629/global-co2-emissions/

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.